If you want to get your $hit together; it would probably help to have less $hit.
1st of all I would like to say that I do not like to curse or swear on a regular basis. For some reason a lot of people can identify with the concept of “get your $hit together.” This concept has come up in my life pretty frequently in the past few years. I guess it is something people try to do in their twenties as they figure things out.
I remember when I was 22 a friend of mine insisted on having me choose a tarot card (another thing I don’t really believe in) so that she could practice her readings. She basically summed up my card by telling me to get it all together.
Yesterday evening my bf and I were talking about it and he said that he had to work hard to get his stuff together and to reach the point that he is at right now. He also said that I am working on the same kind of thing and that it is not an easy thing to do to “get one’s shit together,” but it is necessary if we want to live above struggling. I can definitely identify with that because I don’t want to struggle for the rest of my life. I am not against hard work or overcoming challenges, but I do want my hard work to pay off at some point.
So what does it mean to “get one’s $hit together?” I googled it:
According to Urban Dictionary:
get one’s $hit together- organize oneself so as to be able to deal with or achieve something.
Now we need to figure out how to make this happen. I found an article that has some reasonably helpful sounding steps to follow. To read the article visit this link:
- INVEST YOUR TIME, LOVE AND ENERGY IN PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY RECIPROCATE. This is a step that I need to personally work on myself. I know that I have had my share of one-sided relationships/friendships in which I went above and beyond for the other person, but hardly got anything in return. After awhile it becomes draining.
- GET SOMETHING FURRY AND TAKE CARE OF IT. I think I have a good start on this one… Two cats and a puppy later. There is really something to it; it gives you a sense of responsibility AND companionship without all the drama and judgement.
- STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF BY CHASING GUYS. Another pitfall that I have been guilty of in my past. It is embarrassing to think of the times and energy I wasted chasing guys and people who could care less about me. When the time is right; the right one with find you in time.
- THROW SOME MONEY IN SAVINGS. I need to do this ASAP!!!
- DO STUFF YOU’RE ACTUALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT. Tap into interests that make you feel fulfilled and alive. It’s alarmingly easy to fall into a routine of getting off work and spending the rest of the night sitting on the couch with dinner, a glass of wine and Netflix – and it’s completely okay to do this a couple of nights a week, of course. Don’t let your passions get so muddled into your everyday monotony that you forget what drives your inner spirit.
- STOP PRETENDING TO BE SOMEONE YOU’RE CLEARLY NOT. I am still trying to figure out “who I am” and what my strengths and weaknesses are.
- EXPERIENCE THINGS!
- BE NICE TO YOUR BODY, FOR ONCE. As much as you hate to think about it, no one stays young forever. The bad habits you have now could potentially affect your health for the rest of your life. So, as Nike says, “Just Do It.” Kick the smoking habit, do some cardio, stop looking for what’s wrong in the mirror and concentrate on what’s right. And please, for the sake of all the future children of our world, if you’re going to partake, practice safe sex.
- BE PRESENT.It’s easy to ache for the past and long for the future, but neither of these things will fulfill you or get you to where you want to go. Many people will spend their whole lives chasing happiness to never truly find it. Happiness is fleeting, but finding peace in your present will fill you with the long lasting joy that we so innately crave as humans – and that joy is in the small things.
- ACTUALLY USE ALL OF YOUR PAID VACATION TIME.
- FOLLOW THROUGH ON STUFF.Your reputation precedes you. If you commit to something, be there, and be there on time. Be that solid and reliable friend, daughter, co-worker, girlfriend, etc. In a world full of flakes, you’ll stand out and be extremely appreciated.
- DON’T FORGET TO KEEP DREAMING.Dream loud, dream big, dream often. It sounds corny, but you shouldn’t be afraid of imagining a life for yourself where your dreams, no matter how big or small, come true. The good/bad news is that no one is going to make those dreams manifest into a reality except for you. That’s so exhilarating yet terrifying. But it’s the truth. And aren’t you striving to live in your truth?
I want to start following these guidelines myself. On top of everything else, I fully believe that if I physically have less stuff then it will be easier to pull myself together. I think I was raised with believing that the ultimate goal was to have abundance. I would hang on to things and save old gummy bears forever for the “sentimental value.”
I am beginning to learn with time and experience that too much of anything is not a good thing and too much of a good thing isn’t even a good thing. In a lot of ways less is MORE.
- With less on your mind, you will be able to focus and think more clearly.
- With less distractions you can accomplish more.
What does the phrase, “get your $hit together” mean to you and how did you do it? Comment below to share your ideas!
Love, Joy, and Blessings Always,